Rome2rio is on a mission to be the go-to resource for getting from A to B anywhere in the world. We currently serve 14M monthly visitors worldwide and are highly focused on developing our strong European and US markets. We have grown a significant programmatic publisher business and are looking for an experienced Ad Operations Manager to own and drive further growth in collaboration with our established data science and product teams.
The Ad Operations Manager is a new role at Rome2rio and presents an opportunity to evolve the publisher business, covering on-site advertising and lead generation for partners. You will take ownership of AdOps at Rome2rio, with hands-on and management aspects. You will research and implement changes in advertising configuration via tools such as Google Ads and Google AdSense, as well as drive the development of new ad placements through experimentation in close collaboration with established design, engineering and data science teams. You will maintain relationships with partners such as Google and Index Exchange, identify new partners and build relationships. You will continue to stay current with industry trends and use your expertise to help prioritise areas of growth for our publishing business.
Our ideal candidate has had deep experience with Google Ad Manager (DFP), and broad experience with AdTech and AdOps management in general. You have had experience working on a large consumer-focussed web platform and want to make an impact as part of a tight, data-centric team. You have the versatility to balance trade-offs between revenue and UX impact, value data-driven decision making and a culture of experimentation, and have a strong opinion on issues such as ad blocking and consent management and how they relate to the overall strategy.
You will be joining 40 full-time staff based in Melbourne, Australia. Experience in travel is highly desirable as is an understanding of the dynamic and shifting startup environment. You may come from an agency background with a desire to build your overall AdOps skill set in an in-house role. You are committed to continuous learning and look for ways to build your skills via formal and informal learning.
The key responsibilities include:
- Own and drive AdOps at Rome2rio
- Stay on top of industry news – Second vs First Price auctions, GDPR implications
- Build and maintain key partner relationships
- Identify and prioritize relevant new products
- Hands-on implementation – e.g. DFP first-look and exchange bidding
- Reporting – overall metrics and progress of key projects
- Maintenance – identifying and blocking malicious advertisers
- Carry out QA and troubleshooting of ad placements and tagging
- Educate and assist internal terms on proper implementation and best practices of ad serving tags and systems
- Work with design, engineering and data science teams
- Identify and communicate key metrics
- Research, develop and evaluate new placements
- Prioritize implementation of new ad tech
- E.g. Header bidding, Native Ads, Video, In-app Ads
- Manage tradeoffs between eCommerce, lead generation and ad revenue
- Manage tradeoffs between user impact and earnings
Skills and Requirements
- Experience in programmatic AdOps. This could be in an agency, startup, or other digital publisher. We are specifically looking for someone with sell-side/publisher-side experience.
- Experience with Google Ad Manager (DFP)
- A passion to get things to done; you’ll be comfortable across strategy and tactical execution.
- The ability and enthusiasm to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team, while still maintaining the capacity for self-direction with little supervision.
Rome2rio, based in Melbourne, Australia, is busy helping people get from A to B around the globe. We offer a door-to-door travel search engine that returns itineraries for air, train, coach, ferry and driving to and from any location.
We have recently expanded our services to include on-site ticketing as we move to a hybrid search and booking model. We are a globally recognised, profitable scale-up and pride ourselves on the can-do, engineering-centric culture built by our founders who are both developers themselves. Our team brings experience from companies such as Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Viator, BBC Travel, Lonely Planet and Intrepid Travel.
Working at Rome2rio means that you will be immediately responsible for shaping a consumer focussed product used by millions worldwide alongside a deeply involved leadership team that actively seek and listen to the opinions of staff to improve and expand our offering. Your work will have plenty of impact!
Pay & Perks
Expected pay is between $80,000 and $100,000 per annum plus superannuation, depending on your skills and experience. Rome2rio also offers a suite of benefits including:
Our team is based in a fun, creative and social loft-style warehouse in Richmond with table tennis and pool tables, plenty of break areas and access to nearby restaurants, cafes, and bars.
Interested? Click here to apply for this role!